Skillet Tomato Casserole with White Beans and Parmesan Croutons Recipe
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
3 cups, 1/2-inch-diced bread (use a good, crusty whole grain bakery loaf or sourdough)
2 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 can Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
10 ounce package frozen spinach, thawed with excess moisture pressed out
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, julienned
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place rack in the upper third of oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large and deep ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and stir to coat with the oil. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the cubes are evenly browned.
3. To the skillet, add the tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes break down.
4. Off the heat, stir in the beans, spinach, and basil until well mixed. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
5. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the top is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly. Enjoy hot or warm. (courtesy of http://bit.ly/1tLLnxx)