You thought you couldn’t possibly get your tomato soup fix without some grilled cheese? Think again! The part-skim cheese and non-stick spray assure a lower calorie count but still pack these croutons with the same expected flavor!
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more or until fragrant.
Add water, tomato sauce, and tomato paste to saucepan; stir to combine. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until thickened slightly, stirring occasionally.
Remove soup from heat. Carefully blend mixture in saucepan with hand-held immersion blender until smooth. Stir in milk and keep warm aside.
Make grilled cheese croutons by spraying non-stick spray on one side of each bread slice, then place cheese slices on half the bread on the non-buttered side. Top with remaining bread slices, sprayed side out, then cook in a skillet over medium heat until both sides are very crisp and cheese is melted. Remove from heat and let rest for 2 minutes. Trim top crust and cut into cubes. Place one cubed sandwich into each bowl of warm creamy tomato soup. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve.
* 1/4 Cup canola oil
* 1 1/2 Cup yellow onion, chopped
* 1/2 Cup carrot, chopped
* 2 Tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
* 4 Cups water
* 1 carton (thirty-three and a half ounces) tomato sauce, such as Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce
* 2 cans (six ounces each) tomato paste, such as Hunt’s® Tomato Paste
* 1 can (twelve-ounce) low fat evaporated milk
* 2/3 Cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
* 8 slices of whole grain bread
* 8 slices of part-skim Cheddar cheese slices